Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

quinoa stuffed peppers


I've recently started getting baskets of fruits and vegetables from Bountiful Baskets (you should check it out and see if it exists in your area...great program!).  I have been loving the variety of produce, and it's forced me to try things that I normally wouldn't buy in the grocery store.

For instance, one day I got 10 anaheim peppers in my basket.  What exactly do you do with 10 anaheim peppers?


My thought - why don't I stuff them with seasoned quinoa and cover them with spaghetti sauce?  BAM!  It was easy and absolutely delicious.  We've eaten this recipe twice, and I've loved it both times.  And I love that it can easily be turned vegetarian.  I've got some vegetarian friends that I love having over, but I'm running out of ideas for things to feed them.  This recipe is sure to be a hit!


If you aren't into quinoa, you could easily use rice, although I think quinoa is absolutely perfect in these peppers.  Experiment with your own favorite herbs for seasoning, and try topping it with different versions of spaghetti sauce.  I think you'll love it!


Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 2 t. parsley flakes
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 t. paprika
  • 1/8 t. marjoram
  • 1/2 t. thyme
  • 2 T. sunflower seeds
  • 10 anaheim peppers

In a small saucepan, bring the water, quinoa, bay leaf, and seasonings to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.  Discard bay leaf and stir in sunflower seeds.

Cut stems off peppers and discard seeds.  In a large kettle, bring water to a boil.  Drop peppers in and boil for about 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender.  Remove peppers and spoon quinoa mixture into them.

Place peppers in a large baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until peppers are tender.  Serve with spaghetti sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails